Friday, June 10, 2011

I'm NOT In It To WIN It...

I'm in it for YOU.


These words (lyrics from a song I recently heard) had me momentarily stumped. I'm used to the "I'm in it to WIN it!!" frame of mind. Now this totally opposite school of thought?! Whoa. So I guess it IS possible to do something for someone out of sheer love/loyalty without even expecting reciprocation. Martyr much? Maybe, partly. Or perhaps there's happiness in doing this too. Unconditional love? Most probably. Ah. Selfless love. There you go.

But wait. Wasn't I able to do this too? Of course, not at the martyrdom level, no. But wasn't there a point in my life when I was the only one giving and exerting effort after effort, without the promise of certainty in a relationship? Hmmm. So this isn't really something new for me, after all. I remember at that point I was willing to go through with it, to make the effort myself-- until I bumped my head and my vision cleared and I realized it wasn't worth it. He wasn't worth it. :)

But then let's try to shift the paradigm a bit. What if the guy is worth it, but you know that you can never win. Plain and simple. The question is, will you still go through the effort? Will you still offer the time? Will you still give the love?

If the answer is a resounding "Hell no!", hey, I don't blame ya. That is the logically correct answer. Statistically, most people do not waste their time and effort on something they know they can't get. You simply followed your mind, logical reasoning, sanity and kept within the socially acceptable mindset. That's cool.

But if your answer is still a soft but firm "Yes.", then kudos to you as well. You are the embodiment of the blog title. You have achieved selfless love, whether it be for a short or long period of time. You have found happiness in places not many can find happiness in. You followed your heart this time, allowing yourself to feel what others tend to avoid feeling. Undoubtedly, it will be a learning experience, and a humbling one. An experience that hopefully, when you look back, you'd say, "No, I still don't regret that one."



No comments: