Thursday, May 5, 2011

...And They Said Not to Talk to Strangers...

When I was a kid, my mom kept on telling me not to talk to strangers. Up to this day, I almost never do. I'm not in the habit of chatting someone up while falling in line, waiting, riding the bus etc. Which is why in times of my "willing to share ME time", I'd rather have a friend with me -- personally or at least on the phone.

And today was one of those times.

The guy in the DFA window was making small talk. He even wished me goodluck as he handed me my certified document. Maybe he thought I was going to apply for something abroad. Okaaay, so he meant well anyway.

As I was walking (hurriedly) towards my friend's car, this older guy who let me pass by ahead of him in the exit started walking in pace with me, and making small talk too. About how far the exit was from the road, about how high the rates of the travel agencies were, how he'd rather fall in line than pay several more hundreds of pesos.  I said a few short but polite phrases in response, and discreetly slowed down so we wouldn't be walking in sync.

When I was on the bus going home, I was sitting by the window alone at first. Then a group of tattoo covered guys boarded the bus somewhere in Baclaran. The bulkier one, about my age probably, sat down beside me. A while later I noticed that the sun was in his face and he was commenting on it to his friend, so I moved the curtain to cover the window and he said thanks. That was ok. But then later he started to ask me if I was into tattooes. I said yeah but only henna. Then he started making small talk, alternately talking to me and his friends on the opposite side. When the seats in front of us were vacated, I was expecting him to move there since we were cramped, but he (purposely) let his friends move instead, and refused to budge beside me. Okaaay. He was actually nice, inviting me to their event on May 7 (artists' exhibit). They also have a tattoo parlor. He wasn't scary or rude, I think if circumstances were different it would have been interesting talking to him...except when he asked about my age LOL!

I don't know what's with this day. Strangers talking to me. And I had to break the rule and talk to them too.

Did I have a "talk to me" sign on my forehead? *checks my reflection*


No comments: